What makes a successful email marketing campaign?
The beauty of email marketing is that it helps you connect with your audience directly. You can use emails to promote new products, share business news, and keep your readers informed on the latest developments in the industry.
So, what makes a successful email marketing campaign? Successful email marketing requires planning ahead. To effectively meet your goals, your business should regard an email marketing campaign as necessary as any other campaign. A significant amount of strategising should be put into it to ensure its success.
Here at Vooba, our team proudly have an array of experience in creating successful marketing campaigns of all kinds. We’ve put together some of our top tips for creating an effective email marketing strategy.
Short, snappy and enticing subject lines
Your email subject lines are the first thing that your readers are going to see upon receipt of your email. Putting a considerable amount of effort into it can reap great rewards - and leads.
A subject line should be compelling enough that your audience clicks and reads through your email. Although you want them to read the subject line, it has to entice them to read beyond it.
Your audience will likely be bombarded by many marketing emails each week. Spending time on your subject line will make yours stand out from the rest.
Some compelling subject line tips:
- Keep it short and snappy - 50-60 characters so that it can be read as a whole line.
- Make sure your subject line is relevant to the rest of the email.
- Don’t make it too much of a sales pitch - your audience may disregard the email completely.
- Use powerful language.
Use email segmentation
Segmenting your email subscribers into smaller categories allows you to send out content that is most relevant to that audience. You may decide to segment based on:
- Likes and dislikes
- Location or profession
To gather this information about your audience, include it in your email signup form. A small survey will help you get to know your readers and who you should be targeting with each email, helping to ensure the success of your campaign.
Email segmentation allows you to send targeted content to a specific audience, giving you the best chance at engagement.
Active vs Inactive users
An effective email marketing strategy may target active users or inactive users.
You can choose to create a personalised campaign. If a subscriber hasn’t opened your emails in two months, you may wish to design a campaign that re-engages them.
Alternatively, you may wish to focus on the subscribers that do regularly engage and target them more specifically. If you send out an email that announces a new product, anyone who clicks through the link could be segmented as ‘interested.’ You can then further target that audience and their demographic specifically through your email campaign.
Personalise your emails
For your marketing campaign to be successful, you should consider personalising your emails.
Starting an email with the reader’s name means it is more likely to be opened. 91% of consumers are more likely to engage with brands that provide offers directly relevant to them. Addressing your audience as an individual rather than a whole will make them feel valued and more likely to engage with your brand and content.
Below are some tips on making your email marketing campaign a personal experience:
- Use your subscriber’s names in the subject line or greeting
- Recommend products based on what your reader has already purchased
- Wish your reader a happy birthday, and consider a promotional discount on that special day
Measuring the performance of your campaign
Effective email campaigns can help to drive more traffic to your website or online shop. There are several ways you can measure the effectiveness of your campaign, such as:
- Bounce rate. Check the bounce rate of your email campaign’s landing pages. This will help you determine whether your email campaign and your landing page align.
- Email conversion rate. Monitor how many email recipients click a link in your email and then complete an action, such as filling out a form or completing a purchase.
- Track your new subscribers. Watch your email list grow.
Don’t forget a call-to-action
A call-to-action (CTA) is a valuable addition to any email. A strong CTA will result in more visitors to your website or online store, dramatically impacting the click-through rate of your emails. You should find a CTA at the end of any blog or social media post, encouraging the reader to take action. Emails should be no different. A punchy CTA should be a part of your email marketing campaign.
To make your call-to-action powerful, and to ensure a successful email marketing strategy, consider the following:
- Start with a strong imperative verb, such as buy, shop or discover.
- Giving your readers an incentive to click. For example, ‘shop now for 30% off!’
- Tap into your audience’s FOMO - let them know you’re running low on items and that this is their last chance to buy.
Here at Vooba, we know how to create an effective email marketing strategy. Our experienced team understand that crafting a good email is one thing but knowing what makes a successful email marketing campaign is something else.
Let us help you connect with your audience and drive new sales. To learn more about how we can help with your next email marketing campaign, contact us today by calling 01798 667167. We look forward to hearing from you.