A Guide To SEO Migration
SEO migration is the process of moving a website from one platform or domain to another while maintaining its organic search engine rankings. This requires careful planning but is an essential process for any business that wants to avoid losing traffic and revenue when redesigning its website.
Why is SEO migration important?
Search engines like Google and Bing use a variety of factors to rank websites, including the quality of the content, the structure of the website, and the number and quality of backlinks. When you migrate your website, you can potentially disrupt all of these factors, which can lead to a drop in your rankings.
How to plan for SEO migration
The first step in planning for a migration is to understand your current SEO performance. This includes identifying your top-ranking keywords, your most valuable pages and your backlink profile. Once you have a good understanding of your current SEO performance, you can start to develop a plan for migrating your website without hindering your current performance.
Some of the key things to consider when planning your SEO migration include:
- URL structure: Your new website should have a well-organised, logical structure. This will help search engines crawl and index your website more easily while also creating a straightforward user journey.
- Redirects: You will need to set up redirects to make sure that visitors to your old website are automatically sent to the new website and avoid any frustrating broken links.
- Content: You should review all of your content to make sure that it is still relevant and up-to-date. You may also need to update your content to reflect the changes to your website structure.
- Backlinks: Backlinks are one of the most important factors in SEO. You need to work to preserve as many backlinks as possible when you migrate your website.
How to execute SEO migration
Once you have a plan in place, you can start to execute the SEO migration process. This is typically a multi-step process that can take several weeks or months to complete.
Some of the key steps in executing SEO migration include:
- Migrate your content: You need to migrate all of your content to the new website, including your blog posts, product pages, and landing pages.
- Update your XML sitemap: Your XML sitemap is a file that tells search engines where to find all of the pages on your website. You need to update your XML sitemap to reflect the changes to your website structure.
- Submit your new website to search engines: Once you have migrated your content and set up your redirects, you need to submit your new website to search engines to encourage them to crawl the site.
How to monitor SEO migration
Once you have launched your new website, you need to monitor your SEO performance to make sure that everything is going well. This includes tracking your rankings, traffic, and conversions. If you see any drop in your performance, you need to take action to identify and fix the problem.
What happens if something goes wrong in SEO migration?
If something goes wrong in SEO migration, you need to work with an SEO expert to identify and fix the problem. This may involve updating your content, fixing broken links, or disavowing bad backlinks.
What happens if you don’t include SEO in your website migration strategy?
If you don’t include SEO in your website migration strategy, you risk losing your search engine rankings, traffic and leads. To recover it could take months and sometimes years.
SEO migration is a complex process, but a worthy investment for any company that has any existing organic rankings. By carefully planning and executing your SEO migration, you can minimise the disruption to your business and ensure that your new website flourishes.
Additional tips for SEO migration
- Start SEO migration as soon as possible. The earlier you start, the more time you will have to identify and fix any potential problems.
- SGet help from an SEO expert. An SEO expert can help you develop a migration plan, execute the migration process, and monitor your results.
- SCommunicate with your customers. Let your customers know that you are migrating your website and that they may experience some disruption in service.
- SBe patient. It can take some time for your new website to establish its authority with search engines.
Speak to our team today to find out more about our SEO migration strategies and to discuss your individual requirements. Give us a call on 01798 667167 or email [email protected] today.